Friday, July 10, 2009

celebrations

The air is light tonight and there is joyousness in the compound that is infectious. Tomorrow our good friend and COTN country director, Edward Olara, is marrying his lovely American fiancĂ©, Kaitlin. I cant even imagine how many people are going to be there, Edward knows everyone in Lira. Seriously, I mean EVERYONE. He has made a name for himself as a famous gospel singer in Northern Uganda. He is quiet good at it too and loves to travel to villages to sing and share his story with people. You would love him. Anyways my team is really blessed because Edward asked us all to be the wedding party. Scott, and I are groomsman and the girls are all bridesmaids. The last thing I thought I would ever do in Uganda is buy an “Italian” made suit from Kampala (the capital city) and be in a wedding! I couldn’t be happier though to support Edward and Kaitlin in their joyous Ugandan wedding.

Today was the last day of counseling at Obile primary. It was worth every long drive there and back, every drained afternoon, every fighting prayer, to see these boys smile so wide and hear about their peaceful dreams. No more nightmares. No more haunted days. Awe.

As I write to you world, to my left Rose dances to a song in her language for a baby that is sick with malaria, while the others laugh about soccer matches and tomorrows celebrations. Jimmy, an incredible man who graciously drives EVERYONE EVERYWHERE, sits in front of me and laughs about how he is the master of all games. The funny thing is, he really is the master. Nearly every Muno that comes to Lira and teaches him a game, he beats them twice over the first time playing. You would love him.

I am surrounded by a swarm of mosquitos. Time to bust out some DEET.

Have a lovely day, or night or whatever time it is where you read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment